Easter koulourakia (Greek cookies) with olive oil
- Cooking time25 minutes
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings50 portions
- 900 gr. all-purpose flour
- 180 ml. Altis Chania Crete Extra Virgin Oil
- 350 gr. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150 ml. fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 ½ teaspoons ammonia
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 vanilla capsules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- In the mixer, we beat the eggs with the sugar until they become fluffy; we add the olive oil, vanilla capsules, salt and 2 tablespoons flour.
- In a bowl, we mix the juice, zest, baking powder and ammonia, and we add them to the mix.
- We add the flour and knead the mix until it becomes a fluffy, soft dough.
- We preheat the oven at 170οC and we lay non-sticky paper on a baking pan.
- We form the koulourakia and place them side by side, leaving gaps in between because they will rise.
- We whisk the egg yolks with 1 tablespoon water and smear the koulourakia.
- We bake the koulourakia for 25΄ and, after they cool down, we keep them inside an hermetically sealed box.
- We can replace ammonia with 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon baking soda