Cuttlefish with olives and fennel
- Cooking time1 hour
- Prep time10 minutes
- Servings4 portions
- 1200 g cuttlefish fillet
- 100 g black or green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 bunch fennel
- 1 large onion
- 4 spring onions
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 1 pepper
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sugar
- 80 ml Altis P.G.I. Chania Kritis Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100 ml white wine
- 2-3 allspice berries
- Freshly ground pepper
- Finely chop the onion and the cuttlefish.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion and cuttlefish for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer gently until the cuttlefish is soft. The cuttlefish will release liquid as it cooks, but add a little water if necessary.
- Finely chop the fennel, spring onions, tomatoes and pepper and add them to the pan along with the remaining olive oil.
- Add the tomato puree, sugar and allspice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently until the sauce has thickened and add the olives.
- Allow the food to rest for 10 minutes and serve.
- If you like, you can use whole olives