Halva “Politikos” (from Constantinople)
- Cooking time20 minutes
- Prep time5 minutes
- Servings6 portions
- For the halva
- 300 gr. coarse semolina
- 160 ml. Altis Traditional Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100 gr. sultana raisins
- 200 gr. strained yoghurt
- 80 gr. walnut kennels, ground
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the syrup
- 450 gr. sugar
- 650 ml. water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- We boil all the ingredients for the syrup for 5’
- In a saucepan, we heat the olive oil well, and we add the semolina over medium heat for 5 min., stirring with a wooden ladle, until the semolina turns brown.
- We add the raisins, yoghurt, walnut kennels and lemon zest, continuing to stir for a few more minutes.
- We remove the saucepan from the heat and carefully add the syrup; we heat the halva for another 5 min., stirring continuously.
- We transfer the halva in a baking form and, once it solidifies, we remove it from the form and sprinkle it with some cinnamon.
- We can use orange for extra flavour - In addition to walnuts, we can add peanuts, almonds and pine seeds - Instead of sugar, we can use honey for the syrup