Quinces with pork, prunes and chestnuts
- Cooking time1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep time1 hour
- Servings4 portions
- 1500 g pork (neck end or leg), cut into portions
- 4 quinces, sliced
- 10 prunes
- 200 g chestnuts, boiled and peeled
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 150 ml semi-sweet red wine
- 80 ml Altis P.G.I. Chania Kritis Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 500 ml hot meat or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 allspice berries
- 2 cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a saucepan, brown the pork on all sides in half the olive oil.
- Add the onions and continue frying for 5 minutes, then add the spices, sugar, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper, followed by the stock.
- Simmer gently for about one hour.
- Transfer the meat to a casserole dish without the sauce. Add the quinces and chestnuts.
- Stir the wine and tomato puree into the sauce, season with salt and pepper, and pour into the casserole dish.
- Cook for 60 minutes at 180°C, then add the prunes, bake for an additional 15 minutes, and serve.
You can use dates instead of prunes