“Bardouniotiko” Chicken (Lakoma, Sparta)
- Cooking time1 hour
- Prep time20 minutes
- Servings4 portions
- 1 chicken, cut in portions
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 100 ml. Altis Kalamata Extra Virgin Oil
- 100 ml. red wine
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 200 gr. tomatoes concassé
- 300 ml. chicken broth
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4 allspice grains
- 200 gr. kefalograviera cheese, cut in cubes
- 100 gr. green olives
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a frying pan, we saute the sliced onions in half of the olive oil for 5’.
- In a deep saucepan, we saute the chicken in the other half of the olive oil on both sides until it becomes brown.
- We add the minced onion and garlic, and continue to saute for 1-2 min.; we quench with the wine and add the vegetables.
- We add the tomatoes concassé, concentrated tomato juice, sugar, broth, spices, saute onions, salt and pepper.
- We let mix stew for 60 min., remove it from the heat and add the cheese and olives.
- The “Bardouniotiko” Chicken is served with hilopites pasta
- We can also prepare the recipe like stifado (stew), using onions for stifado and not sliced onions - We can replace the chicken with rooster