Chickpeas and rice with turmeric
- Cooking time1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep time8 hour
- Servings4 portions
- 300 g dried chickpeas
- 120 g yellow rice
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 60 ml Altis Kalamata P.D.O. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- Freshly ground pepper
- Leave the chickpeas to soak overnight and the next day boil them until they are soft.
- Strain the chickpeas, retaining 3 cups of the cooking water.
- Finely chop the onions and the garlic.
- Heat half the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, rice and turmeric, and continue frying for another 2 minutes.
- Add the hot water, cinnamon and cumin, and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the rice is tender, remove from the heat, and add the remaining olive oil and raisins.
- Serve with finely chopped coriander.
- You can also add tomato purée or fresh tomatoes.