- Cooking time1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep time10 minutes
- Servings4 portions
- 300 g Englouvi lentils
- 5 cloves garlic
- 40 ml Altis Kalamata P.D.O. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp oregano
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a saucepan, cover the lentils and the bay leaf with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are soft.
- Drain the lentils, return them to the saucepan with just enough water to cover them, and boil for 15 minutes over a high heat.
- Cut the garlic into thin slices.
- When only half the water is left, add the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon and remove from the heat as soon as the lentils are mushy.
- Serve with olives and fresh oregano.
- Lentils from Englouvi are the tastiest, but if you can’t find them, use large brown lentils.