- Cooking time40 minutes
- Prep time1 hour
- Servings4 portions
- 8 long thin aubergines
- 400 g onions
- 300 g tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bunch parsley
- 150 ml tomato juice
- 120 ml Altis Kalamata P.D.O. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- With a sharp knife, score three parallel lines along the top of the aubergines, creating pockets where you will later stuff the filling.
- Place the aubergines in a baking tin, drizzle with some of the olive oil, and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- While the aubergines are cooking, prepare the filling.
- Slice the onions and fry them in a large frying pan in half the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and keep stirring frequently. The onions are ready when they are soft.
- Skin the tomatoes and chop them finely along with the parsley and the garlic.
- In a bowl, mix together the onions, tomatoes, parsley and garlic. Add the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and press down on them with a fork so that the pockets open and you can stuff them with the filling.
- In a bowl, mix together the remaining olive oil with the tomato juice and the sugar. Add some salt and pepper and 150 ml water, pour the liquid over the stuffed aubergines and cook for 40 minutes at 200°C.
- Imam bayildi can be served hot or cold.
- You can also add cumin and chilli pepper to the recipe.