Sarikopita Pies from Crete
- Cooking time20 minutes
- Prep time1 hour
- Servings6 portions
For the dough
- 500 gr. all-purpose flour
- 30 ml. raki
- 30 ml. Altis Chania Crete Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 360 ml. lukewarm water
For the stuffing
- 400 gr. sour myzithra
- Honey and susame, optional
- Altis Chania Crete Olive Oil, for frying
- In a bowl, we pour the flour, open a small hole in the middle and add the olive oil, raki and water, and we knead the mix until it becomes a non-sticky dough.
- We leave the dough covered for 30 min. in a warm place.
- We separate the dough into 2 equal parts; on a floured counter, we open the dough using a rolling pin.
- We open a large thin sheet and cut it into 5 horizontal stripes.
- We place minced sour myzithra at the ends of each stripe.
- We roll each stripe, like a Cretan “sariki” (turban).
- We fry the sairikopita pies in plenty of hot olive oil, until they turn golden, and we place then on absorbent paper.
- We serve the sarikopita pies plain or with honey and susame.
- We can bake the sarikopita pies in the oven as well